Chlorocardium rodiei (Rohwer, Richter & Van der Werf)
ATIBT Standard Name: Greenheart
Other Name: Sipiroe, Bibiru,
Wood Appearance: Light greenish,
yellow to dark olive, sometimes marked with brown or black streaks.
- Sapwood - pale yellow in colour, shading gradually into the
- Texture - fine and even.
- Grain - straight or interlocked.
- Bole - 50-80 feet long, cylindrical, diameter 20-25 inches
Physical and Mechanical Properties:
Has exceptionally high strength properties even when its weight
is taken into account.
- Weight - 1030 kg/m3 (64 lb/ft3 ) seasoned
- Bending Strength - 181 N/mm2 (26200 lbg/in2)
- Modulus of elasticity - 2100 N/mm2 (304000 lbft/in2)
- Compression parallel to grain - 89.9 N/mm2 (3040 lb/in2)
- Shock resistance -
Natural Durability: Almost
immune to decay and termites, highly resistant to marine organisms
and fire. Extremely resistant to preservative treatment.
- Drying - Dries very slowly with minor degrade, particularly
in the thicker sizes. Distortion is not serious, but checking
and splitting may occur. Kiln Schedule B.
- Working - Easily sawn, in spite of a slight bunting effect.
Turns well. Planning is not difficult despite the high density
of the wood and interlocked grain.
- Assembly - Easy gluing. Pre-boring is recommended for nails
and screws. Good nail holding.
- Finishing - Staining rarely necessary. Polishes satisfactorily.
Uses: A very heavy, hard timber,
suitable for use under exacting conditions, outstanding in most
of its strength properties and of very high durability and having
excellent resistance to attack by marine borers.
Available in very large sizes and long lengths,
and is therefore suitable for piling, piers, lock gates, docks
and harbor works. Useful for pier decking and hand rails, flooring
and in the engineering industry as bearers for engines. Gives
good services in chemical plants for vats, filter press plates
and frames. Suitable for joinery in both exterior and interior
situations and useful also for fishing rods and as a center laminar
for longbows and general construction.
Supplies: Found in commercial
quantities only in Guyana's forests. Regular and large supplies
are readily available.